Mission Statement of Northern Arizona Audubon Society
To promote the understanding and appreciation of birds and other wildlife and the conservation and restoration of their natural habitats.
Here’s a quick list of our 2016-2017 plans and achievements that our members support through dues and participation:
- Birding 101 is a beginning birding class taught by NAAS expert birders and presented in partnership with VRVNO.
- Boy Scout Merit Badge in birding is offered to Boy Scouts in Northern Arizona
- Nature Guide Academy is offered by VRVNO to train future bird trip guides and is staffed by NAAS birders.
- Weekly guided trips to the Sedona Wetlands and Page Springs Bubbling Ponds are offered into these two NAAS sanctuaries.
- NAAS provides leader/guides for the bird walks at The Flagstaff Arboretum.
- A variety of guided regional bird walks are offered throughout the year. See our calendar.
- Several trips to distant locations such as Lee’s Ferry on the Colorado River are offered.
SANCTUARY PROGRAM :
- Sedona Wetlands – in conjunction with the City of Sedona. Click here
- Page Springs Bubbling Ponds – in conjunction with Arizona Game and Fish. Click Here
- Picture Canyon – in conjunction with City of Flagstaff. Click here
- NAAS sponsors several Important Bird Areas (IBA): Click here.
- Verde Valley Birding and Nature Festival: click here for information.
- Verde River Valley Nature Organization: click here for information.
- Audubon Western Rivers Action Network: click here for information.
- Arizona Game and Fish Department: Bubbling Ponds
- City of Flagstaff: Picture Canyon
- City of Sedona: Sedona Wetlands
MEETINGS AND COMMUNICATIONS:
- We present 16 open meetings per year which feature informative speakers and chapter news
- We publish and mail our newsletter, The Blackhawk Watch, to all members
- Monthly E-newsletters containing updates and announcements are sent to members.
- We provide an interactive map to birding hotspots in Arizona :Click here.
- We have made downloadable bird checklists for various hotspots in Northern Arizona: Click here.
- We maintain a sizable “lending library” of binoculars for birding students and other new birders at NAAS events.
- We raise bird awareness by participation in area events.
To continue your membership or to become a new member, click here
Northern Arizona Audubon Society (NAAS), a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, exists to support a mission and lives and breathes by membership participation and donations. You, as an individual, are the vital component of that membership and what follows here is a description of what your membership makes possible. You will find that you are supporting a strong, active organization that is making a difference in our world.